DID YOU KNOW…
- 160,000 plastic bags are used globally every second!
- 5 trillion plastic bags are produced yearly. Side by side, they can encircle the world 7 times.
- Plastic will only start degrading after 700 years and will only fully degrade in 1,000 years.
- Plastic remains toxic even after it breaks down. It doesn’t biodegrade, it photo-degrades. Meaning, it breaks down into smaller and smaller toxic micro particles, which contaminate the environment.
- Stats via HabitsOfWaste.org
- 6.5mm (K) crochet hook
- 3 colors – Worsted weight (4) yarn – 5.2 oz. / 275 yds.
SPECIAL ABBREVIATIONS (US TERMS)
- FDC = Foundation Double Crochet
- MC = Main Color
- CC = Contrasting Color
- This bag is worked in rounds til you reach the triangle straps. You will then add a couple of border rounds and then add the straps.
- If you want to go one step further in being earth-friendly… use an eco-friendly yarn! Something like, organic cotton, bamboo, tencel (lyocell), wool, silk, hemp, linen or any up-cycled yarn. Also, look for Oeko-Tex certified. This means it is free of hundreds of earth-damaging chemicals.
- The body is worked in rounds – do not turn – unless noted otherwise.
- Beginning Ch3 counts as (DC + Ch1) and Ch4 counts as (TR + Ch1).
Foundation Row: FDC 38 – or – Ch40, DC in 3rd Ch and each Ch across [38 DC]
- For Rnd 1 you will be working across the Foundation Row then around and work across the opposite side.
Rnd 1: Ch3, turn, DC in same st, *Skip 2 sts, (DC, Ch1, DC) in next st*, repeat across [13 Ch-sps], working in the side of the Row; (DC, Ch1, DC) in the side of the DC from the Foundation Row, [1 Ch-sp], working on the opposite side of the Foundation Row; *(DC, Ch1, DC) in the first st, Skip 2 sts*, repeat across, [13 Ch-sps], working in the side of the Row; (DC, Ch1, DC) in the side of the DC from the Foundation Row, [1 Ch-sp], join with a Slst in the first Ch-sp [28 Ch-sps]
Rnd 2: Ch4, TR in Ch-sp, *(TR, Ch1, TR) in next Ch-sp*, repeat around, join with a Slst in the first Ch-sp [28 Ch-sps]
Rnd 3: Ch3, DC in Ch-sp, *(DC, Ch1, DC) in Ch-sp*, repeat around, join with a Slst in the first Ch-sp [28 Ch-sps]
Rnds 4-16: Repeat Rnds 2 & 3 – end with Rnd 2
- Now, you will be creating the 4 triangle peaks for the straps.
- Beginning Ch3 counts as DC + Ch1.
- Turn after each Row.
Row 17: Ch3, *(DC, Ch1, DC) in the next Ch-sp*, repeat 3 more times, DC in the next Ch-sp [10 DC]
Row 18: Ch3, DC in next Ch-sp, *(DC, Ch1, DC) in the next Ch -sp*, repeat once more, DC in next Ch-sp, DC in last Ch-sp [8 DC]
Row 19: Ch3, *(DC, Ch1, DC) in the next Ch-sp*, repeat once more, DC in last Ch-sp [6 DC]
Row 20: Ch3, DC in next Ch-sp, Ch1, DC in next Ch-sp, DC in last Ch-sp [4 DC]
Row 21: Ch2 (counts as DC), Skip middle Ch-sp, DC in last Ch-sp – FO [2 DC]For the rest of the triangles, make sure the right side facing you;
On the same side of the bag, join in the next Ch-sp over from first triangle; Repeat Rows 17-21
Move to the other side of the bag, join in the 3rd Ch-sp from triangle on right (2 unworked Ch-sps between triangles); Repeat Rows 17-21
On the same side on the bag, join in the next Ch-sp over from the last triangle made; Repeat Rows 17-21 – but DO NOT FO
Border MC: Ch1, 2SC in the side of each DC row down the triangle, *SC in each unworked st and Ch-sp til the next triangle, 2SC in the side of each DC row up the triangle until you reach the tip of the triangle, make (2SC, Ch1, 2SC) in the tip, 2SC back down in the side of each DC*, repeat around to beginning, Ch1, join with a Slst in the first SC – FO
Border CC1: Join CC1 in Ch-sp at the tip of triangle; Ch3 (counts as DC + Ch1), DC in same Ch-sp, Ch1, *(Skip next st, DC, Ch1), repeat til you reach the Ch-sp at the tip of the next triangle, (DC, Ch1,DC) in the Ch-sp, Ch1*, repeat around to beginning, join with a Slst in the first Ch-sp – FO
Border CC2: Join CC2 in Ch-sp at tip of triangle; Ch2 (counts as DC), DC in same Ch-sp, *(Ch1, DC in next Ch-sp), repeat til you reach the Ch-sp at the tip of the next triangle, (2DC, Ch1,2DC) in Ch-sp*, repeat around to beginning Ch-sp, 2DC in that first Ch-sp, Ch1, join with a Slst in the top of Ch2 – DO NOT FO
- Beginning Ch2 counts as DC.
Strap 1: Continue with CC2; *Turn, Slst in Ch-sp, Ch2, (DC, Ch1, 2DC) in Ch-sp*, repeat around until you have 24 Ch-sps
Locate the Ch-sp of the other triangle on the same side of the bag. Being careful not to twist the strap, and with the wrong side (inside of the bag) facing you, make (3SC, Slst) through both Ch-sps (the Ch-sp on the strap and the Ch-sp on the tip of the triangle) to connect the strap to the other triangle – FO
Strap 2: Join CC2 in the Ch-sp at the tip of the next triangle (opposite side); repeat all steps from Strap 1, starting at the Ch2
Weave in all your ends and start shopping eco-friendly!
You may share on social media and sell items created using this pattern, but please credit me as the designer. No mass producing.
©2021 Tzigns – All rights reserved. It is illegal to alter, redistribute, share or sell the photos or pattern text in part or whole, electronically or physically. I am the sole owner of this pattern and any pictures associated with it.