DID YOU KNOW…
- The United States uses millions of single-use plastic straws a day.
- Plastic straws are among the top 10 contributors to plastic marine debris across the globe.
- Approximately 8.8 million tons of plastic pollution flows into the oceans each year.
- Most recycling machines aren’t capable of recycling straws, given their size.
- By 2050, plastic trash will outweigh fish
- Stats via OurLastStraw.org
- 4mm (G) crochet hook
- Worsted weight (4) yarn – 0.6 oz. / 30-37 yds.
- 2 – 8.5” stainless steel straws
- 2” x 2” = 9 HDC x 6 rows
SPECIAL ABBREVIATIONS (US TERMS)
- FHDC = Foundation Half Double Crochet
- PSC = Picot Single Crochet
- Watch the Tzigns YouTube video tutorial HERE!
- Insert hook in the st, yarn over, pull through, Ch3, yarn over, pull through two loops. Push the Picot bump to the back (RS) as you close the Picot with the next st in the pattern.
- Beginning Ch does not count as the first st.
- Anytime the pattern says to go through “both sides”, make your sts through all loops (4) on both sides.
- The cozy measures 9” x 1.25” and can hold 2 straws that are 8.5” in length. If you need it longer, make the beginning Ch longer, making sure it is an even number of Chs. If you need it wider, continue the HDC row repeats after Row 6.
- If you want to go one step further in being earth-friendly… use an eco-friendly yarn! Something like, organic cotton, bamboo, tencel (lyocell), wool, silk, hemp, linen or any up-cycled yarn. Also, look for Oeko-Tex certified – this means it is free of hundreds of earth-damaging chemicals.
Row 1: FHDC35 – or – Ch36, HDC in the 2nd Ch and each Ch across [35 HDC]
Rows 2-6: Turn; Ch1 HDC in each st across [35 HDC]
Bottom Seam: Fold the cozy in half (length-wise); Ch1, evenly make 3 SC’s through both sides, seaming the bottom together, then make a Slst in the very corner
Turn; Slst in 3 sts
Side Seam: Rotate to seam up the side; Ch1, *SC, PSC through both sides, seaming it closed*, repeat *to* til you have 15 Picot’s – end with a SC (there should be 4 sts left unworked)
Loop: Ch8, skip 3 sts, join with a SC through both sides, in the 4th st seaming the top corners together
Top Seam: Rotate to seam up the top; Ch1, evenly make 3 SC’s through both sides, seaming the top together
FO – weave in your ends
Insert 2 straws, one for you and one for a friend, and start saying “No” to single-use straws!
You may share on social media and sell items created using this pattern, but please credit me as the designer. No mass producing.
©2021 Tzigns – All rights reserved. It is illegal to alter, redistribute, share or sell the photos or pattern text in part or whole, electronically or physically. I am the sole owner of this pattern and any pictures associated with it.